3.27.2012

Somedays I could swear...

There are some days I could swear that somehow certain businesses are reading my blog.  I know, I know... that seems silly.  I mean what do we have here but my thoughts and insights about things.

Here's the kicker though - after I wrote my bits about the "future web" and suggested that processing power would eventually move server side and I ran with that idea, discussing the illusion of power from underpowered devices via remote processing.  Low and behold, the Kindle Fire was released and the thing that sets it apart...  the Silk Browser, which utilizes remote processing power (via Amazon's EC2 cloud service) to provide better performance than the device alone can provide.

I also wrote a bit about the future of the web involving "operating systems as a service," again utilizing remote processing power to deliver a true desktop environment to an underpowered platform.  Of course some of the big dogs of virtualization (like Wyse) jumped on this bandwagon before I even mentioned it...  however you have to either set up your own server or pay for an account which really flies in the face of the modern cloud.  Then along comes OnLive! Desktop providing the very thing in every particular that I imagined.  Sure to have a really robust "desktop" experience you have to pay...  but for basic functionality at least, you're good to go for free.  And that's more "cloudy" to me...  the fact that there is at least some basic "for free" version, with a more powerful version at cost.  Funny thing about that - if you provide a cloud based service, then delivery of the software is synymous with using the service...  so if users can't try it, they really have no way to tell if they want to.  The "pay wall" is problematic to cloud adoption - if you lock your service away, how will anyone ever be aware of it or decide to use it over some competing service?

And in my very last article from the 17th of this month, I suggested that Microsoft had lost its way and should return to its programming roots... and in particular that I would like to see cloud based development tools and server side compiling (ie., programming and compiling "in the cloud."). And what did I read today?  MS just announced they'll be releasing visual studio 11 as a cloud based service that will (eventually) handle compiling on the server side.

I feel like these guys should be chipping in and buying me beer .  Now you watch - the new linux tablet due out later this year will eventually use my "borg transceiver" idea of ad hoc networking/distributed processing.  Mark my words.  (My money is on that platform since so much development has already been done there to build parallel super computers.  Its got the "shortest path to destination" going for it.  The quickest means to get from here to there (by rifting off open source software, vs. starting from scratch).

No comments: